Friday, April 23, 2010

Help.....a four-letter word

image via cartoonstock


"Refusing to ask for help when you need it is refusing someone the chance to be helpful."
- Ric Ocasek

I haven't written a really personal blog in a while and I've got a lot on my mind, so here goes.

I cannot ask other people for help. I just moved all of my belongings from one apartment to another...completely by myself. I couldn't muster up the courage to ask anyone to help me. I am really struggling financially thanks to the move (and some unforseen circumstances including car trouble which yes, always happens when you don't need it to), and started crying tonight at the thought of even asking my parents for help. What is it about asking for help that makes me feel so ashamed?

When I think about how asking anyone for help would make me feel a lot of words come to mind: weak, incapable, unintelligent, etc. I know the psychology behind all of this (vulnerability and fearing judgement of others and such), but I can't seem to break through it. I even found an interesting term being thrown around currently in the psychology/self-help community: self-sufficient syndrome. Yep, that's me.

Do other people have this hard of a time asking for help? And why or why not I wonder???

No comments:

Post a Comment